Yes, my first attempt to bake a chiffon cake conked! Had a craving for orange or lemon chiffon cake and wanted to try making one, and realised from surfing the net that it's supposed to be tricky. Nonetheless, gey-kiang Mummy went ahead.
| Feeling confident! |
Discovered during my cooking/baking attempts that I'm not a stickler for following exact measurements. If the recipe says 1 teaspoon, I will agar instead of taking a flat top off the spoon. Same for gram measurements. Much prefer to cook based on gut feel and trial and error... Though most times it ends in error haha!!!
Anyway, very suay that this particular attempt failed not because of my measuring. Nothing to measure leh.
My egg whites just refused to rise to the occasion!!!! Supposed to just whisk 8 egg whites until they become stiff peaks, then fold them into the batter. My batter looked ok. But my egg whites remained foamy even after a long time of whisking.
| Wrong leh... |
At my wits' end, so I just hecked it and followed through anyway.
| Quite sure this is wrong. Supposed to be thicker batter. |
After the designated 20mins of baking the cake looked correct FROM THE OUTSIDE.
| Mmm smells good! |
Haha! But when I turned it out, immediately knew salah already. So rubbery! More like 发羔.
| Scarly can bounce if dropped. |
Felt so tempted to throw the cake away, as it had a very tart aftertaste, I suspect from either the baking soda or tartatic acid. But Hubby said it tasted ok wor... so I packed it for his tea breaks haha!
| Packing it for Hubby's tea break. |
Was a bit consoled too that Boyboy didn't mind eating it :)
But so sad, the next day he spat it out immediately :((( So into the trash the remainder went!
Why ah??? What went wrong with my egg whites? Anyone can shed some light???
Is it because my egg whites were contaminated with a little bit (about a teaspoon) of yolk? Or beater not powerful enough? Should beat short or long duration?
No problem, as long as they are still edible..only not as fluffy as store bought.
ReplyDeleteThe eggs definitely look not risen. It should be a fluffy white foam. I think suppose to be room temperature, last I had problem with them. After take out from fridge, have to let sit a while.
But hor, later after I can make cakes, just come out of fridge seems okay also leh...so..try that first.
Overbeaten also won't rise. :P
Try again later! :)