Monday, September 16, 2013

Dealing with Death

Boyboy first learnt about death when we walked along the forest, from the bus stop to his childcare. We came across lots of roadkill, from frogs to rats and bats. 

Hence arose his famous words:
"晕倒可以起来。死掉就不可以,死掉只可以黏在地上。"

-----

This year there has also been a sharp rise in funerals held in the common pavilion downstairs. It doesn't help that our lift lobby opens up directly to the pavilion on the route to the park.

My Mum also forbids us to bring the kids downstairs to the park when a wake is in progress, which can be a few days. So have to justify to the boy.

Our bedroom windows are just next to and above the pavilion, so I often have to explain the chanting and loud music, especial during the final send-off for Toaist funerals. 

So the boy realised that people die. People get old and die. Old, as in a large number like 70 or 80, when people have white hair and are bent over or frail. Or sitting in a wheel chair. 

Old as in his Yeye, who has the whitest hair among his grandparents. I suspect that is partly why he is sometimes reluctant to go over to my PILs' place now... Reminds him too much about mortality. 

------

Boyboy has had school-refusal issues since the start of the 7th Month in early August. Every night he would moan about not wanting to go to school, and cry badly when I drop him off at childcare. 

Initially I was worried it's something supernatural, cos he told teachers about "too many people around" and his school was near a WWII Sook Ching massacre site. 

Well, 7th Month is over and the tears have not abated. Tonight he finally spoke his mind...

He is afraid that his family members will die and leave him all alone like what happened to Batman (urgh!!! Curse you superhero stories!!). 

Especially Mummy. So he wants to stay home all day to play with Didi and stay where he can see us and make sure we are ok. 



Touched. And damn worried. I reassured him that I'll do my best to live as along as possible, but he still has to go to school to become clever. 

Explanation not accepted. Refused to sleep and wanted me to leave the lights on for him to read many many books "so that tomorrow won't come". 

I told him time will move regardless of what we do. That if he doesn't sleep I can't sleep and then I'll die faster!! 

Boy persisted in staying awake until 11pm when he fell asleep from exhaustion. Now I finally know why he has been delaying bedtime for the past weeks. 

His inadequate sleep has accumulated so much I'm quite certain it contributes to his bad moods and behaviour. 

---------

Actually I saw the signs. When he looks at a drawing of a child in a picture book, he would ask where's the parents? I had to bluff that the artist had not enough space to draw them. 

Why don't Snow White or Cinderella have their mothers? Or the most dreaded... Why does everyone in The Little Match Girl die? 

How? How to solve this problem? How to reassure him? 

Anyone has any good storybook to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment