Monday, September 16, 2013

'The Studio Loft' photo shoot

I've always been a fan of The Studio Loft. Firstly, the photos on their website look great and the sets are beautiful. Very graphic and design-y. Secondly, it is started by mothers who thought up this business to spend time with their children. So must support!

But I think my sentimentality gets me into trouble. Earlier I wanted to support that preschool which was started by a pair of parents for their child. Now I want to support these mothers. Then I got burnt, and now, I suspect, will get burnt again.

I got this email in their online newsletter (bold words originally bolded):

"We are so excited to share our circus-themed shoot on 12 Sep, Thursday. This exclusive one-day only outdoor shoot features a carnival atmosphere with elaborate props and live animals!"

So I snapped it up even though it cost a whooping $450 for a short 30min shoot. Their usual 45min shoot for one kid cost $650 with all photos back, so this was quite a deal at two kids and all photos back. They were fully booked within an hour of sending out the newsletter.

Paid for it from my savings cos I know Hubby will find it too expensive. But I feel the need to document my boys' childhood and if the photos are good, we can blow them up and put them in the boys' bedroom.

-------------

After transferring payment I waited patiently for info on the shoot. Asked about what live animals they have... no reply. Took a week before they sent an email showing the location as the horse ranch near Gorgor's childcare. The map was wrong. I emailed them for clarification and to rectify the map else everyone will get lost. No reply.

Ominous feeling *Twilight zone music*

But I went ahead to prepare for the shoot. Made these DIY no-sew bow ties to zest up the boys' outfits. Though I sewed them cos it was easier than using a hot glue gun at 4am in the night. Less chance of the folds coming loose too. Tutorial from this site.


On the day of the shoot I was quite disappointed with the sets.
Set 1: Tree with 2 papier mache rabbits.
Set 2: Tent with tricycle.
Set 3: Candy floss stand w windmills and towel on floor.
Set 4: Crate to stand on and a big balloon.

Expected erm... "elaborate"???

Due to the placement of the sets, the kids were also facing the hot sun, all squinting. Gorgor's eyes disappeared.



Bare...


And the "live animals" turned out to be singular. ONE MISERABLE LIVE ANIMAL aka a pony which you can ride and take photos for extra $30. I was expecting a least a rabbit or duckling or chick?!

Ok I can close one eye to the sets cos a good photographer can still crop closely to make the photos look good.

Then I realised we were not getting 1 photographer, but 3. We were rotated among the sets like a production line. The ladies instructed Gorgor to pose, and took a snap. One pose, one snap.

Shouldn't a good photographer go on snapping frequently, so as to not miss a moment? Also they should be getting the natural side of the kids by chatting with them etc and not using the same fixed poses for all the kids.

Not crying... Actually having fun beating the drums.

Only this lady named Joanne was better and friendly with Gorgor and managed to strike up a rapport. The rest were mechanical e.g. dumped a hat on him to take pics without arranging his sweaty fringe. Some were standing around while their colleague took the photos, not helping to motivate the kids. We had to do it ourselves.

My main bugbear was that Gorgor was being very uncooperative and disruptive that day. Any time he joined Didi in a photo, Didi would start crying. Told the photographers that, but they still persisted in putting them together, saying Didi's crying face is "also very cute". I didn't pay money to document Didi's crying face :p

Crying soon!
Was SOOOOO glad when the shoot was over, although I had no idea what we shot, cos it felt very haphazard and fragmented. Am now darn worried that I wasted my money. Crossing my fingers that the photographers really had the skill to take good photos despite all the negatives I encountered above.

When will the photos be really for me to see? I emailed them days ago to ask. Guess what? No reply.

Even if the photos turn out splendid, I will hesitate to engage this studio again. Very scary when there is no communication, or worse, inaccurate communication.

Though I still love the photos on their website. Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment