Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Big, fat, white lies

Raise your hand if this happened to you when you were little... My mother would threaten that Policeman Uncle would take me away to be punished if I were naughty.

After growing up I felt that was quite a lame trick to use, but horrors! Find myself resorting to similar tactics recently, simply cos it really works!

Boyboy has persisted in hitting and clawing at people, at times pulling their hair. Mummy had scolded, nagged and smacked him, to no avail.

One day Popo asked him whether he has seen Policeman Uncle on TV catching the baddies. She warned that if he commits those naughty acts again, his hands will be tied behind his back like on TV.

I've never seen Boyboy listening so intently and seriously. He tends to do that with his grandparents. Suspect that Mummy nags too much so the impact of my words have fallen :p

Anyway, after that he tried to behave.

________________________

Mummy and Papa tried our own trick one evening at a foodcourt. Boyboy was refusing to eat his food. A strange-looking cleaning auntie kept coming to talk to him (they all tend to do that don't they?) so Papa used that to our advantage.

We told him that the auntie was patrolling to see if everyone was obediently eating their food, and would only collect the plate if it's clean. If auntie saw his food untouched for a long time, she would even come over and feed him.

That freaked him out and got him eating. We were amused but felt a bit bad too, cos he got frightened and grabbed us whenever she came near after that.

At the end of dinner, I carried Boyboy from the highchair and he suddenly said: "婆婆骂骂了,叔叔没有吃完!"

Turned and saw that the guy behind us was leaving with a huge heap of briyani rice uneaten. Heh heh.
_________________________

Whenever I leave Boyboy with my mum for my day off or to run errands, I would need to explain to him why I couldn't be around to accompany him. Have to lie sometimes cos there wasn't any real reason.

Some Saturdays Hubby and I also leave the boy with his parents so we can pak tor. Once we did that for 2 consecutive days, telling him we needed to go buy diapers, then milk powder the next day.

We must have gone to JB cos we only returned in the evening :p So I think Boyboy knows they are excuses.

One time I was free to remain at my in-law's place, he actually looked at me in the lift and asked "妈妈今天没有去哪里?"

Hubby was so amused cos he heard sarcasm in Boyboy's tone of voice. I hope not!!! Hee hee.

Anyway... I'm thinking I should just be frank with Boyboy in the future. Just in case he is smarter than I thought. Haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment