An ex-colleague at Health Promotion Board had a little lunch party at Food For Thought to celebrate her birthday. Of course I had to go!
Not only was it a rare chance to catch up with the lovable host, who is now based overseas, it was a good time to meet my other ex-colleagues. Some are still at HPB, others have moved on like me.
Initially I had concerns that I would have nothing to say to them, but I needn't have worried... It felt just like old times! Really miss being in an office environment w colleagues that I like, doing a job I like. So nostalgic for the good times sigh...
| Hello, National Day is over leh~ |
Had actually considered bringing Boyboy along for the lunch because I knew that another girlfriend would be bringing her son. But in the end I didn't, as I was quite sure that would mean I can't catch up properly with my friends.
And by the end of lunch I was so regretting not bringing him along. Cos I think that he would have enjoyed meeting up with so many 'Ah Yi's and the other children. Maybe next time, when the venue is less cramped and more child-friendly :)
------------------------------
Also... today's lunch group including people with whom I've had conflicts before. Realised that after becoming a Mummy, all those conflicts seem very petty to me. Perhaps when you are in an office environment and your job is the most important thing, you become anal over trivial issues.
Was upset with one colleague because she had stuck to her professional ethics. I had written many articles for a publication that was underway when I resigned. Forgot to save a copy for my copywriting portfolio so I asked her for them as she took over my project. But she refused, saying that it's not right. I was so upset cos I needed them urgently to apply for a copywriting job. So our SMS conversation ended off on a negative note and we did not keep in touch.
Another colleague also argued with me in her position as an employee of the organisation. I had worked as their vendor and completed the job, but then their big big boss changed her mind. So they wanted to pay me less, but I insisted on full payment as technically I had done my part. Many emails flew between us as I tried to reason with them. But they surely saw me as an unreasonable vendor. On hindsight, I guess we were both correct in our own stands.
When I resigned from HPB, I did so with a bitter taste in my mouth. I had planned to give notice suddenly, to prevent too much 'pep talk' by the bosses. But the boss found out. A colleague who was absent today, had informed her of my intention. I was so pissed with her when I discovered what had taken place. I blogged about my unhappiness, which in turn created her unhappiness at being 'wronged'. I did not give her a chance to talk about it with me before I left.
Again on hindsight, she could have informed the boss because she valued me as a colleague and wanted the boss to help retain me. I could have been more understanding or at least talked my unhappiness out with her.
How immature I was!
So now I try to be more conscious about jumping to conclusions or being critical of others. Especially when I know that whatever little action I do in future will be watched by Boyboy and taken as an example.
I'm glad that when everyone met today, past conflicts were put aside... maybe we all valued even more, the chance to meet up with a friend who had shared our memorable good times :)
------------------------------
As I'm typing this my stomach is churning.
Have not eaten so much for a long time! Haha, maybe cos I have had little opportunity to eat a good meal without the boy being around. With Boyboy around, meals are always gobbled and preferably edible using just a spoon i.e. one hand.
Today the Greedy Mummypillar ate:
1 plate of sausage and tomato linguine
2 servings of wildrocket and chicken salad
3 glasses of iced water
4 big spoonfuls of mushroom potato gratin
5 potato wedges
6 bites of rich Red Velvet cake
7 mouths of fluffy pancake
8 chunks of chocolate rum cake
9 sips of cappucinno
10 doses of friendship!
Ate too much, came home and was stuck in the toilet for 20 mins with stomach upset. So dinner tonight was plain white rice and millet oat porridge with miso for taste :( Stomach still churning, and hungry too!
| Eat already, like never eat! |
End off with this little cutie that I bought from Food For Thought... managed to trick Hubby into almost putting it into his mouth hee hee!
| It's an eraser! $2 |
No comments:
Post a Comment