That's supposed to be a parent's greatest weapon ;) When the kid is being naughty, distract. When the kid is cranky, distract.
I agree with the second one, but not really for the first. Many 'angmoh' parenting books advise reinforcing positive behaviour by giving it attention, and conversely ignoring bad behaviour. Makes sense.
But Asian parents tend to want to address the issues instead of ignoring it. Cos we argue that if you don't tell the kid it is wrong, how would he know? Haha, so Mummy tends to keep nagging and nagging. Frankly though, it would be much easier on myself if I choose to ignore.
I think Hubby and I make a good tag team. Sometimes when one is tired, the other will take over. We try not to create too much tension at home by scolding the boy unnecessarily. At times that is difficult when both of us are tired or stressed out.
Today Hubby made me break out into laughter until I teared ;) He was in a much better frame of mind and mood than me, as I slept too late last night (tonight too!)
The boy was acting up and being super cranky in his play yard. I was all ready to explode on him when Hubby walked up to him and excitedly yelled "斑马!" at him. The boy paused, perplexed.
Hubby then repeated "斑马!" and did the horse neighing thing with his arms hanging like the zebra's front legs being raised in the air. Totally no link! Haha but that succeeded in making Boyboy forget what he was obsessing over earlier.
Papa managed to get the boy to follow his instructions to pack up, while Mummy was collapsed in a heap laughing on the floor ;D
Good tactic, must use it more often than taking Boyboy's antics too seriously or too personally :)

No comments:
Post a Comment