Monday, August 29, 2011

二十四孝父母?

Boyboy's teachers in playgroup always comment that his mother is a 二十四孝妈妈 because of these:





But if the straps are causing rashes / blisters on my son, shouldn't I stop that?

Hubby has also been teased by his colleagues for being a 二十四孝爸爸 because he brings Boyboy on outings that he requests for, like going to the zoo for the umpteenth time.

I'm bewildered... if it is something that can be done, and does not require us to bend backwards too much, why not? The zoo trips for example, can be educational, and if Boyboy wants to much to learn about animals, I don't see the harm.

Once I was with Boyboy at the park downstairs, and a stranger mum suddenly stopped to talk to me, unsolicited. I found her quite weird. She told me proudly that her son (around Boyboy's age) goes to full-day child-care and can count from 1 to 10, and proceeded to advise me to go buy VCDs so my son can learn too.

I wanted to say, hello~ my son also can ok!

Then she said that her son's school was actually going to the zoo that day, but she refused to let him go cos she didn't want to pay $20+ for herself. Then.... what made me faint... is that she then said that her son won't be able to understand anything at the zoo anyway, and he can go with his school later in Sec 2.

Poor son!!! He was sitting on his push-bike with such a sad face... only managed to make him smile after making ugly faces for quite a while.

I cannot imagine why a mother would underestimate, or rather, cut down her own son like that. She seems so deluded about the type of education kids today need, and can absorb :(



No comments:

Post a Comment