Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chiffon cake: Attempt no. 3

Sent the boy to my mum's place to nap, and intended to rest myself. But I think my cup of breakfast teh terik was keeping me awake.

So here I was baking again! This is getting to be an addiction. Did not realize I'm such a perfectionist haha. Just can't believe that I can't conquer you, chiffon cake!!!

Followed Kanita's advice for 10min 180 degrees followed by 40min 150 degrees. Looks better! At least not burnt.


Alas, but still sank.


My mum finally had time to discuss my cake today... She used to bake a lot when I was younger and could make a mean kuey lapis and yummy mooncakes which she sold. Don't know why she stopped :p

Anyway, discovered that the recipe I'm using has a lot of errors. For example it recommends using plain flour instead of self-raising flour, but does not add in baking soda. No cream of tartare to help egg whites rise either.

Also, not supposed to oil the mould for chiffon cake but the book states that. Worst is that it advises the baker to unmould the cake immediately after baking, which is fatal!!! No wonder my cakes have been sinking!

Lousy book, boo. $10 from Popular.


My mum went to dig out her yellowed recipes from baking class with Smiling Orchid ages ago... More than 10 years! Wish me luck with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment