And so I was searching for that feeling again when I went to cut my hair yesterday. As a SAHM, my everyday hairstyle is a ponytail tied up high on my head so it does not get in the way of household tasks.
But that also makes a mother feel like an auntie, or worse, a 黄脸婆. Have been craving for a shorter sassy cut. The weather does not help; the scalp area at the ponytail gets wet and itchy as the day stretches and becomes v uncomfortable.
My friend recommended this Japanese salon to me. She said it is known for cuts that follow the natural waves of the customer's hair so there is no need to rebond.
That really tempted me cos rebonding is a hostage situation that forces one to spend $200+ every six months. Spoils your hair somemore.
But I balked at the charge of $90 just for the cut. Surfed the net for reviews, all were good! So I started thinking that it might just be worth it if the salon can give me the ever-elusive 'perfect haircut'.
Went for my ramen fix at Marutama Ramen (Mmmm I can eat their chicken soup ramen forever!) while mulling over my dilemma.

Decided to go for it, especially after sneakily loitering outside the shop and seeing happy customers leave.
As I entered the shop I couldn't help exclaiming "Very nice!!!" to the Japanese customer who was leaving. She squealed back "I know!!!!!!!!!" Haha.
And so started my slip into the valley of false hope.
Izumi Salon at The Central is a one-woman show. Izumi trained in New York and services mainly Jap expats (that explains the price tag).
She was very conversational and meticulous, not to mention skillful in wielding her scissors. She was flipping my hair all over the place in an apparently systematic way.
Learnt some interesting facts from her. Apparently in Japan the stylists services a customer from start to end, including washing and blowing. That's how he understands the client's hair.
Especially in perming, the stylist needs to control even the angle of the curls. Perms at cheapo places look wrong cos it's unqualified assistants doing the rolling of curlers.
Also, rebonding is a term used only in SE Asia. Japan calls it Straight Perm while US calls it Thermal Reconditioning.
Izumi also shared some 'Japanese' tips with me. She gave me Double Bangs, which is a heavier fringe that makes a face look smaller. Another trick is to put part of your hair behind your ears.
I left the salon pleased after one hour, especially after noting that the nice haircut was not the result of blowdrying. I had specified that I need a NO maintenance style and Izumi reassured me this was ok.
But alas, just like every of my haircuts before, the honeymoon period ended quickly. I went home, tied my hair up to wash my face, and the hairstyle was gone forever. Looked like a $25 cut from neighbourhood salon.
It became even more destitute-looking after being slept on, and went totally dead after I returned from bringing Boyboy to school under the morning sun. Now looks like $10 ECHouse cut.

Look like inmate from Changi Women's Prison :p
Angry leh! Why is it so difficult to find a hairstylist who actually listens and has the skills to tailor a cut to our hair??? Anyone has good stylist to recommend?
What a waste of money. I should have tried out Shunji Matsuo in Orchard Rd. Still cheaper. Boo.
My hair look like an old broom now. Will probably go to a $10 shop and get it trimmed further to a basic bob.
Expensive, expensive $100 lesson :((((
No comments:
Post a Comment